Enlarged prostate gland (BPH)
It seems to be a fact of life for men that as they age, the risk of getting an enlarged prostate gland increases proportionally. An enlarged prostate is called benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH)
Most men over 40 will have a small amount of prostate enlargement and more than 90% of men over age 80 will have BPH.
Our Prostamax containing beta-sitosterol is proven to be effective in helping to reduce the size of an enlarged prostate gland but BPH sufferers can also make small lifestyle adjustments to ease the condition too.
- Urinate when you first get the urge. Try going to the toilet on a regular schedule even if you don’t feel you need to.
- Avoid caffeine and alcohol, especially in the evening before going to bed.
- Drink two glasses of cranberry juice a day. This can help alleviate an irritated bladder which can occur if you are unable to empty it fully.
- No not drink large amounts of fluid in one go. Take regular smaller amounts throughout the day. Try not to drink anything at least two hours before bed.
- Cold and sinus medicines containing decongestants or antihistamines can increase BPH symptoms. Avoid them if possible
- Keep yourself warm and exercise on a regular basis if possible. Being cold and lack of physical activity can worsen symptoms.
Like all conditions, if caught early the symptoms will be easier to treat and potentially respond faster.